New Year’s Day had come and gone. Our bellies and heads ached with food and drink hangovers and as the second episode of Chopped came on my boyfriend asked me to bake him cookies. This was the first baking request in our new relationship and I happily obliged to bake him some peanut butter cookies.
I love peanut butter cookies. They are sweet and salty, moist and crunchy, and super easy to make. I decided to add chocolate chips to the batter because who doesn’t love the flavor combination of peanut butter and chocolate?
Sift and weight all your dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Always make sure to take your butter out of the fridge before baking. Having room temperature butter will help when blending in the suger, especially if you’re mixing by hand.
Blend butter and sugar till smooth and creamy. This is my favorite part of baking, blending the sugar and butter together. It’s fun to watch the fat and sugar blend into a fluffy sweet mixture.
Once the sugar and butter is well blended, add the egg and vanilla. Fold in peanut better by hand with a spatula or wooden spoon. You can use any kind of peanut butter that you like. Chunky peanut butter is always a nice way to add some crunch.
This is the point when the interested party walked into the kitchen to taste their special treat.
Always chill your cookie dough before baking. If the fat is too warm, then the cookies will flatten in the oven. Chill for at least 30 minutes before baking.
These cookies smelled so delicious coming out of the oven. The boyfriend got a plate full of cookies and a tall glass of milk. I think he was satisfied. Maybe I’ll bake for him again.
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 5 oz (140g) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz (115g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 oz (165g) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 1/2 oz (265g) smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 8 oz (276g) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 *F; grease baking sheet.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl; set aside.
- Mix together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- In another small bowl, mix the egg and vanilla together and then gradually add to the butter mixture.
- Stir in the peanut butter. Mix thoroughly.
- Gently stir in the flour mixture and then the chocolate chips.
- Chill in fridge for at least 3o minutes.
- Spoon out rounded teaspoonfuls of dough and roll into balls and place onto sheets.
- With a fork, press flat onto the balls making a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly colored.
- Cool on baking sheet.